Here are a few things I'd like everyone to remember:
1. I never queried Cinders. I wrote it specifically to self-publish it.
2. I have lots of resources at my fingertips to self-publish...you might not have those same resources and this might cost you (a) more time, (b) more money, (c) more headaches and emotional investment than it cost me. Or it might not. See, you must remember that...
3. The decision to publish in any way is a huge decision and must be made with your eyes wide open and...
4. The decision to publish in any way is an extremely personal decision.
5. I also feel that self-publishing is not the right thing for all of my projects. Why? Well...
6. I currently have a manuscript on submission to a small publisher who did not require an agent for me to send in the work. I hope to hear back from them soon. This would mean that if they offer me a contract, I will be traditionally published. This means that...
7. Obviously, I feel both traditional and self-publishing are valid ways to publish your work and that you must always remember there are other options out there if one option is not working out for you.
8. There are also many different ways to self-publish your work. The route I took may not be the best option for you.
So I guess I'm imploring you to not listen to me too closely when I talk about how absolutely wonderful an experience self-publishing has been for me. I just spoke with a friend of mine who also self-publishes her work, and she shared with me some of the sales she makes every day. My jaw dropped open and my jealousy meter shot sky-high. I thought, "There is no way in a million years I'd make those kind of sales with my work...probably not even with the small publisher I want." Of course, never say never, right? Still, her situation and experiences are completely different from mine.
And yours will be, too.
Do You Want to Jump the Fence? - August 26th
The Vase - September 1st
What Going Indie Will Cost You - September 8th
Whither The Author-Artiste? - September 9th
Influences & Self-Publishing Might Just Stink For You - September 16th
The Absolute Nightmare (or not!) of Formatting a Print Book - September 22nd
Cheaper Than Kinko's - September 23rd
Don't Listen to Me - September 30th